Most photographers know how to edit their own photos. In fact, I’m sure YOU know how to edit whether or not you’re a photographer or an editor.
And one of the reasons you’re reading this blog, is to perfect your editing skills. So why am I writing about outsourcing today?!
GET YOUR LIFE BACK
I am writing this blog because I feel so strongly about outsourcing! If you ask 10 entrepreneurs about almost any subject, you would probably get 10 different answers. However, ask 10 entrepreneurs about what changed their businesses and lives the most, I can almost guarantee ALL 10 would say, OUTSOURCING! Ask them…I dare ya!
I’ve asked…a LOT…and I have yet to hear a different answer. Truth is, if you want a thriving business AND life, you have to outsource something. You cannot do it all!
You don’t have to outsource your editing, but you could outsource your cleaning, errands, laundry, grocery shopping, meal prep, etc.
A PERSONAL EXAMPLE
Early on in my editing career, I realized there just weren’t enough hours in the day to do everything that was on my plate. So I made a list. Anything that only I could do was crossed off of the list. And what was left, were things I knew someone else could do for me. The first thing I chose to outsource was house cleaning…and it was life changing!!!!!
I realized I could edit a wedding in the time it took 2 people to deep clean my home, and had money left-over! It was a no-brainer, and I was hooked.
Suffice it to say, I outsource many things now. Honestly, unless it needs me specifically, chances are it’s being outsourced! Outsourcing has allowed me to do what I love, and still have time to do the things I love most!
SO BACK TO PHOTOGRAPHERS
Now that I have you thinking about the life changing effects of outsourcing, let’s go back to photographers. Most photographers know how to edit their own photos. So why would they hire someone else to do it for them?
- THEY HAVE MORE IMPORTANT THINGS TO DO. Professional photographers often hire photo editors to edit the bulk of their images because it is so time consuming. The time it takes them to edit hundreds of photos is precious time. Time they could be devoting to other things.
- THEY LACK THE EXPERTISE. A photographer can be an expert at capturing an image with very little knowledge of how to edit the photo. An editor on the other hand, is an expert at editing. It is all they do!
- THEY ARE EXHAUSTED: It takes a lot of work and time, to maintain and build a photography business. Most photographers do not have enough hours in the day to accomplish all of the things on their to-do list. When they outsource their editing they have time for a personal life, growth, relaxation and resting. And they have time to grow their business.
- IT REDUCES THEIR TURN-AROUND TIME: In today’s world, people expect things almost instantly. A wise photographer knows that. Having a speedy turn-around time for delivering images to their client’s will help their business to flourish!
- IT BRINGS CONSISTENCY AND QUALITY. If your images are being edited by an expert your photos will be known for their consistency and beauty. That leads to trust and happy clients. And happy clients refer their friends and make your business grow!
- IT IS LIFE CHANGING. I know that is a bold statement! But I have seen it happen COUNTLESS TIMES! When a professional photographer outsources their editing, it frees them up to do the things that only they can do. Such as, client relations, building vendor relationships, managing their business, family time, memory-making with loved-ones, time off, more creativity etc. Their personal life flourishes, their business grows, and it quite literally, changes their life!
Think about one thing today, that someone else could do for you, and start outsourcing it. I promise you, it will change your life!
If you found this helpful, I have many tutorials on my You Tube Channel where you will find weekly Lightroom editing tips and shortcuts. Be sure and SUBSCRIBE so you’ll never miss them. And please share this with a friend who also loves to edit!
If you have editing questions, never hesitate to reach out. I am always here to help. DM me on Instagram @alisamccormick and let’s chat! I am an open book and love to help others grow on their editing journeys.
Until next time, Happy Editing!